Liposuction is the second most popular plastic surgery in America according the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. However, lipo isn’t right for everyone interested in improving their figure. Our San Diego plastic surgeon is board-certified and can help you determine if liposuction or another form of cosmetic surgery is right for you and the goals you have for your appearance. There are several types of lipo, some of which offer the added benefit of local anesthesia and faster recovery time.
It's essential to remember that liposuction is an invasive surgical procedure that requires downtime and good health. Some of the requirements for lipo candidates include:
- In Good Health: Certain medical conditions or life-threatening illness such as diabetes, blood clots, or lung disease may prevent you from healing correctly and cause unnecessary complications. Our plastic surgeon will ask you thorough questions about your medical history to ensure you achieve the body contour you want safely. Some medications such as warfarin and aspirin may also cause issues.
- Non-Smoker: Ideally, men and women interested in lipo should be nonsmokers, but if you do smoke, you will need to be willing to quit several weeks before and after your procedure for optimal healing. The same goes for alcohol. Both substances increase your risk of complications and may make your healing time longer or more noticeable scarring.
- Realistic Expectations: Liposuction is not a weight loss method, so you need to be within 30 percent of your ideal weight. If you have excess skin from extreme weight loss or pregnancy, a tummy tuck or mommy makeover might be a better option to address several cosmetic issues at once. It’s best if you’ve maintained a stable weight for a long period of time so you can prevent post-surgery weight gain.
- Diet & Exercise: Your liposuction results will disappear quickly without proper diet and exercise routines. You’ll need to limit your movement for several weeks following surgery, but you could be up and moving as early as 24 hours following your procedure, which actually aids the healing process.
- Not Pregnant or Nursing: Pregnancy is a beautiful gift that comes with many changes to your overall body which continues even after you’ve finished breastfeeding. Many women opt to have abdominal liposuction to restore their pre-baby body by removing the excess, stubborn fat leftover from pregnancy. Women with children who are interested in liposuction or a different plastic surgery should be finished breastfeeding for several months to allow your body to adapt.
Liposuction is a versatile plastic surgery procedure that can be performs on many areas of the body. While the most common areas involve the abdomen, buttocks, and “love handle” area, lipo can also treat your:
- Breasts (Typically men with gynecomastia, enlarged male breasts)
If you’re interested in liposuction and would like to see if you’re an ideal candidate, please contact our board-certified plastic surgeon in San Diego today at (561) 866-1002 to schedule your FREE consultation. Avalon Lipo & Aesthetics serves patients in the San Diego, California area including Oceanside and Carlsbad.